Historically, Russia is known for cyber security threats to countries and their infrastructures. Recently, the Russian Main Intelligence Directorate (GRU) is understood to have carried out a resent DDoS attack on the Ukraine banking sector during February 2022, which has alerted our own banks of possible threats, here in the UK.
Further to this, the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) recommends that all UK business and public sector organisations be vigilant during the current Russian Ukraine war crisis as cyber security threats are increasingly heightened.
How businesses can tighten up against cyber security threats
With businesses facing these kinds of cyber security threats, it is important that they make necessary steps to tighten IT security. This means re-assessment of cyber security practices within day-to-day operations in terms of accessing devices, software, and networks. Organisations are urged to:
- Update passwords to combine letters, numbers, and symbols
- Update passwords where a default password has been applied
- Apply two factor authentication to access secure areas, where possible
- Check that operating systems are running with the latest version
- If using Microsoft, check that automatic updates, is switched on
- Inspect anti-virus software to make sure it’s up to date
- Run a virus checker on devices
- Logout of systems through the correct procedure once finished with.
- Check the ‘from’ address in emails before responding
- Don’t open or reply to an email if it seems suspicious – Get a second opinion!
- Educate employees on the risks around cyber security threats
- Implement a cyber security policy
Finally, obtain cyber liability insurance through JRW Risk Solutions. We provide twelve-month policies to mitigate risk and protect businesses against a cyber-attack. Furthermore, we have access to cyber liability policies that are available to businesses of all sizes and are implemented to protect company devices, networks, and procedures. To find out more, please contact our commercial insurance team or see our insurance website for more details.
- For National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) further information: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/