How driving for UK business will operate under new Brexit

How UK business operates in the EU is about to change.  As of the 1st January 2021, the Brexit transition period will terminate, and the UK will no longer be part of the EU. This means that there will be significant adjustments for UK companies.  Especially to those that drive for UK business and companies who employ drivers for sales roles and those in courier and haulage services.

UK business who operate in this way need to be aware of the following:

  1. UK Passports – From the 1st January 2021, burgundy passports will still be valid. However, to use the document to travel, passport holders will need to hold a valid 15 month’s before expiry date. To find out more, please use the UK. GOV passport checker – checker –
  2. Driving in Europe – All UK drivers will be required by law to hold an IPD (International Driving Permit) even when driving in the EU. This document enables UK drivers to drive in countries where our standard UK Driving License is not recognised as adequate proof. An IDP can be ordered at the Post Office or visit to find out more.
  3. Applying for a Green Card – A Green Card is a recognised international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the driver holds adequate third-party fire and theft insurance cover. Motorists must have a physical printed copy of the document when driving in the EU. Failure to show the document at the border, when asked to do so, may result in not being able to enter a country and even possible prosecution.

Does your UK business need to implement post-Brexit changes ready for employees who drive in Europe as representatives of your company? JRW Risk Solutions assist companies with Green Card applications on behalf of commercial driving insurance cover in addition to commercial liability insurance. To find out how we can help your UK business further please contact us for more details.

Further information on driving abroad can be found on website at:

Scroll to Top