Driving in the EU including the Republic of Ireland after the 31st October 2019

With the Brexit deadline looming and a no deal Brexit still a possibility the Association of British Insurers (ABI) have issued guidance for individuals and businesses taking their vehicles outside of the UK.

If you are planning a trip after the 31st October or if you have your vehicle(s) in the EU and will not be returning till after this date please contact us as a Green Card will be required.  We will need details regarding the trip and the dates in order to provide a Green Card and we recommend reasonable time is allowed for them to be issued.

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance, which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary third party insurance cover.  These certificates prove that drivers are suitably insured to drive in these countries.  A physical copy of a Green Card on green paper is needed when traveling as digital copies are not currently accepted.  If you arrive at the border without a physical Green Card you may encounter delays and maybe refused entry to drive in that country.

The ABI have also issued advice regarding Travel Insurance cover, and more detailed guidance can be found at https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues/choosing-the-right-insurance/motor-insurance/travelling-to-the-eu-if-a-no-deal-brexit/?dm_t=0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0#motor

Please contact us if you have any questions or need any further advice.

Scroll to Top