Important information for Businesses and Drivers

Driving in the EU post Brexit

As the UK and Brussels continue to debate their final plan on how the UK will leave the EU, the Brexit landscape is ever changing on a daily basis.  Through their debate there have been important issues raised in reference to driving in the EU before and after the 29th March 2019 and so with this in mind, JRW Risk Solutions Ltd would like to highlight some of the uncertainties around motor insurance that UK companies could encounter.

UK businesses who travel in and out of the EU as part of their job roles will need to understand and adhere to the new arrangements under Brexit.  Whilst these are still being outlined and agreed on both sides, it is important to understand what maybe required by companies post Brexit.

The new legislation will apply to all UK drivers and businesses who operate in the EU.  Industry sectors such as haulage, courier services and fleet companies, or those who employ sales staff and company representatives who visit other businesses in EU countries will need to be mindful of their preparations.

Currently if you have a motor insurance policy which allows you to drive in the EU, then this will continue to be valid up until midnight on the 29th March 2019.  After that date it is still uncertain, however under the new outlined agreement there are two aspects which includes the application of a Green Card and the application of an International Driving Permit (IDP).

Green Card Application

A Green Card Application will provide drivers with a Green Card Certificate which proves that they have suitable insurance cover to drive in the EU.  Although still being finalised, all UK drivers who require the ability to drive in the EU will need to hold a Green card after the 29th March 2019.

The Association of British Insurers is asking companies to be prepared for this, by familiarising themselves and their staff as to what this could mean for their companies.  Please note that if you have driven in Russia or Switzerland then you would have already received a Green Card Certificate.

UK Driving License

Your UK / EU driving license will not be valid in the EU.  Drivers will need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP), which can be bought from the Post Office for £5.50 and they still need to carry a valid UK driving license.

To apply for a Green Card for your business or to find out more about Commercial Motor Insurance please contact JRW Risk Solutions.  We specialise in sourcing Motor Fleet and Commercial Motor insurance policies tailored for UK businesses.  Independently or in conjunction to this, we can introduce the correct measures to your business to prepare your company for the crossover in post Brexit – Driving in the EU legislation.


Article Resources used to write this post:

Scroll to Top